Description:The word “modern” is one of the most misused phrases in decorating. Often confused with contemporary style, today’s modern style is based on a design movement that was birthed around the turn of the 20th century. Modern style furnishings and decor celebrate natural materials, neutral or earthy colors, and the elimination of unnecessary detailing. While you may see a range of colors in contemporary styling, modern styles would have monochromatic colors.
- Emphasis on horizontal and vertical lines with fewer curves
- Lack of fussiness or fluff
- Low, horizontal furnishings with clean lines
- Natural materials such as unpainted wood, metals, leather, and natural fibers
- A neutral or “natural” color palette
- Reflective surfaces such as steel, chrome, or glass
- Natural woods and wood veneers